Responding to Emails

10:22 AM Posted by exclusiveMD

I am thrilled to hear questions already about how I practice medicine especially in regards to the use of technology. The question was about how I respond to emails and more specifically if there a system to alert me or the office that an email has arrived. First of all, I own an iPhone and I am constantly checking my email. Some people might say that I am addicted to my email/iPhone or any technology for that matter. Emails are directly pushed to my phone as soon as you hit send. In regards to my office, I have chosen to use an electronic medical record called eClinicalWorks. They are a leader in the industry and have also jumped into the world of mobile technology offering an interface with the iPhone. From my phone I can view your medical record and quickly call or email you back in addition to e-prescribing to your local pharmacy. To add security and comply with HIPPA, email within eClinicalWorks functions through a private patient portal only accessible via encrypted password. Once an email is sent it is pushed automatically to my phone and my tablet PC. Keep in mind that the current health system does not incentivize physicians to practice with these forms of technology or communication because there is no reimbursement for it. So if you are wondering why your local docs do not take advantage of these features that may be the reason.
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: